You may have read my recent post about Google shutting down their Feedburner API.
Because of this, Copyblogger media’s StudioPress themes has decided to slowly phase out the existing eNews widget which is part of the Genesis theme framework core files.
The good news is they are supporting a new plugin which is even better and has been developed by the community.
Genesis eNews Extended
This is a new plugin which creates a widget to easily add mailing list integration to websites using Genesis and StudioPress themes.
The existing eNews Widget only supports Feedburner which has always been a problem for anyone who prefers to use their own email service.
Integration with MailChimp
Login to MailChimp and go to:
- Select the list you want to connect with the eNews widget
- Click on ‘Forms’
- Click on ‘For Your Website’
- Click on Sign up form embed code
- Copy the form code into notepad and find the url which relates to your ‘form action’
- Simply add the url next to the form action which you can copy from your form code.
- Enter the email field as is displayed in your form code.
- Enter any hidden fields (if shown in your form code)
The MailChimp code i used to test this form didn’t include any hidden fields and the email subscribe form tested perfectly when i tested it.
Contact your email service provider for the form action and hidden fields details if you get stuck integrating the plugin with any other email services.
- Excellent plugin which provides an easy solution for adding a email sign up form to all StudioPress themes built on the Genesis framework.
- Easily integrate the major email marketing services providers like Aweber, MailChimp, Feedblitz & Feedburner into your WordPress theme.
- Still works with Google’s Free Feedburner service.
Not sure why they don’t build this plugin code into the Genesis core or simply change the existing widget with this new plugin.