Creating and publishing videos to youtube is one of the best ways to get traffic to your video and even your website if your setup is correct. You can also install a xml video sitemap plugin for wordpress and build links to your video to get your videos ranked on the first page of Google which is great.
But, the only problem is your traffic will click through to youtube to view your video and NOT your WordPress site. Here’s a better way to go about it so you get the traffic click through to your sites domain and not youtubes.
- Create a video that relates to the content of your WordPress blog post
- Upload and host it on your YouTube channel
- Add a link in the description back to the relevant URL on your site EMBED the video into the content area of your post or in a widget area on your site using a WordPress video plugin
- Create a video xml sitemap using a WordPress plugin and submit it to Google Webmasters Tools
- Build links to your video page (your WordPress site) instead of building links to YouTube
Install a WordPress XML Video Sitemap plugin
Google loves sitemaps. I bet you have one for your content and maybe even one for your images but do you have a sitemap for you videos? A sitemap will build all the links to your videos for you automatically so every time the search engine spiders crawl your site they will be updated with your new video URL’s.
If you using the same Google XML sitemap for video plugin for WordPress that i use then all you need to do is click to Ping Google and your sitemap will be submitted automatically. Otherwise wait for the search engine spiders to come around or submit your sitemap manually through Google webmaster tools and your other favorite search engines!
Here’s how to submit your sitemap to Google
If you’re new to sharing your content with Google, here’s how we recommend you get started:
Are you currently hosting videos on Youtube which you embed in your sites posts and pages? Are they ranked on Google under your Domains URL or Youtubes?