This tutorial relates to migrating your WordPress files and database from a local installation to a web server.
You can either:
- Watch a Slide Show or
- Watch a Video
This method shows you how to change your site and WordPress url's using the WP Migrate DB plugin before you export your database.
After changing your link url's, its simply a matter of:
- zipping up your WordPress folder locally
- creating an addon domain in cPanel if needed
- uploading your files to your domains root directory on your web server
- creating a new database and editing the wp-config.php file with your new database connection details
- importing your database SQL file into your new database using phpMyAdmin
There's different ways to move your files and database from your local setup to your web server.
If you don't use a plugin to change your url's, read this note.
Personally, i prefer to change them using the wp migrate db plugin before exporting the database and then use Notepad++ to check all links using the search, find and replace feature.
- Here's 4 ways to change your WordPress site url's and avoid broken links.
- 3 ways to move WordPress from a local setup to a web server.
- A plugin for changing database url's before migrating.