Readers love a good story and none better than a passionate story based on a real life experience.
If its authentic, personal and resulted in a great experience for you then share it with your readers.
Here’s 10 things to consider every time you write a blog posts and 10 reasons why you should.
- Write about what you’re passionate about based on your own experience and opinion
- Keep it genuine, unique & original
- Keep it short and to the point. Don’t ramble on unless you’re providing a comprehensive solution
- Write like your having a conversation with an old friend however don’t step over the line
- Use bullet points and keep it highly Scannable
- Write content that’s relevant to your blogs general topic
- Readers love lists of bite sized chunks which enrich and provide them with valuable info
- Try to write actionable steps based on your own personal experience that have benefited you. Forget knowledge, readers want solutions that benefit them now, save them time and frustration and fit in with their goals.
- Use spell check, smaller paragraphs, good grammar and larger font size. 16px should be the minimum.
- Its Crucial you use Compelling headlines that are Powerful and contain descriptive titles that draw in your readers.
- Provide solutions and methods that solve problems and provide benefits to your readers.
1. Writing about a subject you are passionate about shows in your content. If you’re not passionate about what you are writing and its not your opinion you are putting down in writing then it will show that way.
Some of the most successful blogs are written by people that are passionate about the subject matter and not shy to share their real opinion.
When you write about topics that are close to you which you are deeply involved in, like minded readers will share your excitement and pick up on your discovery.
2. Sales copy is not meant for blog posts. Beating something up into something its not may only creates disappointment. Keep it real, genuine and tell both sides of the story. Personal, authentic, experiences which explain a story of how to solve a problem, save time and prevent problems are well received.
The search engines will NOT index content if its the same as content already indexed regardless of the quality. Original, unique content which tells a short story based on a real life experience is King.
3. If its painfully long to write then its painfully long to read and most readers won’t see the finish. Bite size chunks that are easy to absorb mentally are best. There are exceptions and my long list of the 50 best WP plugins is one of them as its written in small paragraphs and lists my genuine opinion of the best 50 plugins out of over 12000.
4. Writing conversational style is showing respect to your readers and helping them engage by asking questions. I know its hard to sift through the comments and find genuine engagement rather than comment spam but its important to respond and be reader focused. Finding out what your audience really needs and wants is gold as you can them give it to them.
5. Bullet points, numbered lists and special HTML that links from the start of a list to the meat of the content in a particular part of the post helps create easy access to content which are also easy to scan. Most readers scan until they find the juicy headlines and sub headlines.
6. Nothing worse than searching for a solution and you click through to junk that’s not relevant to the headline or search query. If your headline says ‘WordPress installation’ write about different methods on how to install WordPress. Don’t ramble on about something NOT related to the topic. Relevancy, especially for great search results, is everything.
7. I find it hard to keep posts short when i’m in the zone and fired up but i have to pull back and try and condense my content into the most crucial points that help my readers. Shorter posts which are well spaced out and uncluttered are more attractive to a reader therefore more likely to be absorbed better when in bite size chunks.
8. Valuable information is well received but what benefit is there to the reader if they don’t act? I’m trying to make my posts more actionable so my readers try my methods and benefit from them.
9. The correct use of the English language and Grammar are important so your content flows nicely and reads well.
10. Choosing a descriptive title that not only describes your content and is also compelling enough for your readers to keep reading, return to your site again and in some cases take action, is crucial.
11. There are different methods to solve just about every problem, not just the one you think is the best. Writing a blog post about 5 ways to do this or 3 ways to solve that provides choices and adds more value and flexibility to your solutions. Always try and put yourself in your readers shoes and ask whats in it for the reader.
Combining these tips for writing blog posts with basic on page SEO & Keyword Placement will make your content even more powerful.Subscribe for Tutorials - Double Opt In