Firstly, the word blog is short for weblog (website log) and relates to a diary of articles or posts under different categories about related topics and subjects.
Some personal blogs post content on a variety unrelated topics and most business blogs tend to focus on writing different posts that are inter related about the same general topic.
Generally a blog will normally offer common features such as:
- Ongoing articles or posts related to the general topic of the blog
- A comments section so visitors can interact and leave an opinion about an article
- Unique content designed to encourage visitors to leave a comment
- Different related categories that cover a broad range of related subjects and topics
- Archive of older posts
- Links to other related blogs and websites
- Images and videos (youtube) that are related to the topic and subject
- RSS feeds that enable readers to find and keep up to date with the latest content on a particular subject or topic
In 2009 The President of The United States of America spoke publically about the power of personal blogs, the negative impact Blogging was having on the business of mainstream media and how it was causing established media to go bankrupt.
There are many different types of blogs which offer content on different topics and subjects, and the content can be written using your own unique style.
- Business blogs are mainly used to communicate marketing campaigns, build branding and achieve positive public relations.
- Social networking sharing integrated with WordPress is also a huge benefit gained from blogging.
- Personal blogs are used as a way to reflect on life and express one persons inner self which can also be tied in with social media like facebook, twitter and youtube.
- Specific genre blogs which focus on a particular topic or niche market like art, music, religion and politics.
- Different types of blogs include microblogging (twitter) and mobile blogging.
Acceptable Behaviour & Your Responsibilities
- Take responsibility not just for your own words, but for the comments you allow on your blog.
- Label your tolerance level for abusive comments.
- Consider eliminating anonymous comments.
- Ignore the trolls.
- Take the conversation offline, and talk directly, or find an intermediary who can do so.
- If you know someone who is behaving badly, tell them so.
- Don’t say anything online that you wouldn’t say in person.
Read more about some of the best practices when writing blog posts.
A major reason blogging has become so popular is because the content can be updated constantly compared to a website that contains the static pages with old content.
Bloggers can write new content which is relevant to the overall subject of thier blogs. Blog posts contain content relating to a particular category under the general topic of the blog.
In order to keep your blog popular and increase your subscribers, follow a few powerful tips that will help you stand out from the hundreds of millions of sites already in the blogesphere.
- Write new posts regularily using your own style of writing containing unique content relevant to your topic
- Comment on other blog posts in the same field with your own opinion about the blog post which adds value to other people’s posts
- Don’t place banners and forms all over your blog until you have a loyal following and can provide experienced advice on products and services that you can also prove will benefit your readers as they have benefited you.
- Write about something that you are good at and enjoy sharing with the world. Don’t force yourself to write about something you have no real interest in.
- Choose a simple white or light colored premium blog theme or template which is easy to customize and easy for your readers to follow.
Here’s a youtube video explaining what a blog is in plain english
You should have a decent idea now on how to start blogging, so what are you waiting for?
If you haven’t yet started a blog, choose a name to enter the Blogesphere and express yourself or your business to the world.
I hope this post explains the basics of what a blog is and how to start your own self hosted site.
I use WordPress for all my blogs & websites because it’s simple to use and provides thousands of really cool functions.
- Here’s a simple to follow article on how to start a WordPress blog in 3 simple steps.
- Otherwise you may be interested in starting a blog with our free setup service.
- Or DIY by following our Video Tutorial Setup Guide For WordPress Beginners.