Do you know your current search engine results for the keywords you are targeting? Did you know how much of the traffic the first page on Google gets? Most of it which means if your not on the first page of the search results or SERPS as the SEO industry call it, then you either need to write hundreds of pages of content or increase your current search engine rankings and get on the first page of Google.
Its clear that the first page of the search engine results get most of the traffic to their sites and the top 3 positions take over 60% of the traffic which is great if your up there. If your not, you need to take action and make some positive changes that will boost your rankings onto the first page.
Search Engine Optimization is a process of improving your website such that both users and search engine crawlers find you more relevant and useful. The result is an improved product that gets users exactly what they want, which in turns gets you higher rankings within the search engine’s results pages. The bottom line is you increase your relevance and the search engines rank you better. That increase in rankings can significantly boost traffic to your WordPress site.
There are many ways to increase your search results some more effective than others and some more powerful than others. Here’s a list of the most powerful Seo methods that will give you the biggest boost in the shortest amount of time.
- Make sure all your pages and posts are linked together. If you don’t use Google webmaster tools then you may not know that less than half your content is indexed by the search engines. The Thesis theme for WordPress framework i am using on this site automatically links all pages and posts together unlike my last theme. Look at the very bottom of every post and you will see previous and past posts links. I wondered why my traffic went up so much within a week of installing this theme. Google follows links and if your pages aren’t linked properly they may not be indexed.
- Still on links, make sure you have about 3 keywords in each page/post linked to other pages. Internal linking is more powerful than incoming links as long as the anchor text is right and the destination of the link matches the keyword in the anchor text. If you don’t want to do this manually install the seo smart links wordpress plugin that will do this automatically.
- Are you images indexed? Search engines like Google cannot read you images yet images are far more powerful than text so add alt text to your images. You can easily do this manually by clicking on the image in your wordpress editor and adding a relevant keyword to the alt text field. The other way is to install a wordpress plugin that does this automatically.
- Make sure your titles have at least one of two keywords, key phrases, long tail keywords, multiple word keywords in them. Call them what you like as they have the same meaning and that’s exactly what your main keywords should be. Keywords and key phrases with the same meaning.
- Use keywords in your posts that have the same meaning yet are different words. You may find 5,10 or even twenty words and/or phrases that have the same meaning. Your content should be focused on one all these keywords and key phrases which all have the same meaning.
- Fill your footer, sidebars and menus with keywords and widgets full of recent and popular posts, custom menus etc which will contain your post titles full of keywords. Google takes a snapshot of every page it scans and highlights the keywords in your menu’s, sidebars, footer and all over your entire site.
- Write more content that’s highly related to your existing blog posts and link the correct anchor text to the correct content. This is something i do a lot of because it works really well. I don’t spend any time on external links and prefer to write more content so that i cover all keywords and variations of those keywords while using the best anchor text in my internal links. 7/10 of my top ranked posts are all related to and include the same keyword. The other 3/10 are my home page, a group of posts including a No.1 rank for a keyword and another closely related keyword.
- Take a second look at your meta descriptions on all your posts and make sure they are descriptive of the main focus keywords you are targeting for each post. If you look in your source code, which is where Google looks, you will see both the meta description and keywords which should relate to your titles, headings, permalinks and overall content.
- Try focusing on aligning your content with what users are searching for and also creating content that matches the searchers needs directly from the search query. Keyword research will help you find the most relevant search terms to include in your content for this purpose.
- Host your own branded rss content feeds rather than your rss managers. Why have links leading to feedburner.com when you can promote and increase your own domains authority by hosting your own rss url like http://feeds.yourdomain.com
Task – Go back over all your previous posts and use unique, description meta tags to provide both search engines and users with a summary of what your page is about! Accurately summarize the page’s content. Write a description that would both inform and interest users if they saw your description meta tag as a snippet in a search result. Make sure you use unique descriptions for each page. You can check for duplicate meta descriptions using Google Webmaster Tools.
After you have implemented all these methods, your search engine results will increase and you will be closer to the first page of the search engine rankings if not there. The increases in traffic, through improved rankings, that these methods will deliver are proven and significant. Don’t forget a good SEO program always focuses on the end user experience in mind. According to my stats Google is by far the biggest visitor to my site.
My next Seo post will be focused on keyword selection and content Seo. Subscribe if you want to learn the most important Seo Factors.
Download my new SECRET WEAPON for niche market research and SEO for free.
Posts related to search engine ranking for your wordpress site
- Learn Search Engine Optimization for WordPress Seo Tutorial
- Download Your Free Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide For Your WordPress Site
- The Simplest, Most Effective WordPress SEO Moves You Can Easily Make
- Simple WordPress SEO to Get Traffic to Your Site
If you don’t know which keywords have the traffic and make the money, you are wasting your time.
Market Samurai is the leading keyword research tool that all serious internet marketers use.
Discover how it can help you in our Market Samurai review…
Subscribe via e-mail