Need to customize your read more link, maybe add a button instead of a text link or modify your post excerpts? Regardless of which theme you’re using, you’ll find the solution here.
We’ll take a look at modifying the read more link, more tag and post excerpts, for all WordPress themes.
And you’ll also learn how to easily move the read more link to its own line as well as add a button to it.
In this tutorial, we’ll take a look at different custom code examples which:
- Customize the read more link when using the WordPress More Tag
- Modify the read more link when using the Content Limit on the Content Archives
- Change the length of the post excerpts
- Display Read More Link On Separate Line
- Add a button to the read more link
Customize The WordPress More Link
Modify The Read More Link Text
Change The Excerpt Length
You can also customize the excerpt length conditionally.
Note: Genesis users will need to have selected to display post excerpts in the Content Archives rather than a content limit for the above code snippets to work.
Move The Read More Link To Its Own Line
Add Button To Read More Link
Display Different Link Based On Category
This code will display different read more link text based on the category the posts are assigned to. Simple change the category i.d’s to suit your needs.
Remove Excerpt More Tag
- Move The Read More Link Position To The Next Line
- Thesis Theme – Adding a Button To The Read More Link
- Add a Custom Read More Link After Hand Crafted Manually Added Excerpts