This video discusses the difference between the 2 types of WordPress platforms.
- One is the self hosted WordPress.org version
- The other is the free hosted WordPress.com version
- WordPress.org is self hosted software.
- You’ll need to find your own web host.
- You’ll also need to install the WordPress.org software.
You can customize your site using your own theme or high a web designer
- You can also add any of the 20,000 free plugins and create custom functions
- Full access which you control on your own server
- Highly flexible however a little harder to get started than WordPress.com
- WordPress.com is a free hosted platform
- Need to select a username
- Your username will be included in your website address
- You can add your own unique domain name if your purchase an upgrade
- You can also customize your theme if you purchase a custom upgrade
- Includes default plugins however you cannot add more plugins
Free hosted and automattic updates for beginners
- No access to the WordPress.com servers
- Security is taken care of however they can suspend your site if you break the rules
- You can move your content at a later date to a self hosted WordPress.org site
- Can remove advertisements by purchasing an upgrade
In conclusion, its very easy to create a WordPress.com account and start blogging immediately.
WordPress.org requires a bit more time to setup however you have more flexibility & complete control.