Creating a WordPress membership site is a great way to offer exclusive content using a range of different membership levels which are affordable to everyone.
This way you can build a list of members and make money at the same time.
Generally, the best membership plugins for WordPress are premium except for S2 Member which offers both a free version and pro version.
I’ve already reported on 2 of the most popular premium membership plugins for WordPress:
- Wishlist – Best premium membership plugin packed with features however fairly steep learning curve.
- eMember – Best lightweight membership plugin. Easy to setup, however lacks some features.
Let’s now take a look at the best free WordPress membership plugin, S2 Member.
I’ve been working with Wishlist & eMember plugins for awhile now but always been curious about S2 becuase of the amount of times it gets mentioned on Matt Mullenwegs WordPress group on Linkedin.
One of the most attractive things about using this plugin is the video tutorials. They have been created for absolute beginners and walk you through every part of setting up a membership site, step by step.
Anyone can setup their own membership site as long as you have a few hours to follow all the videos.
S2 Member Features
- Integrates with Paypal
- Supports recurring billing
- Compatible with WordPress multisite
- Supports free subscribers
- Integrates with Amazon s3
- Compatible with BuddyPress
S2 Member allows you to:
- Protect pages, post, tags, categories, uri’s & sub folders
- Protect partial pages
- Protect downloads
- Restrict amount of downloads
You can use the free version of S2 Member plugin to sell eBooks and access to content on individual pages or posts.
If you’re thinking about creating a membership site with WordPress, i’d highly recommend you try the S2 Member plugin.
Here’s some interesting frequently asked questions which may provide the answer you’re searching for.
Have you tried any of these 3 membership plugins? Which one’s the best in your opinion?